Saturday, March 28, 2020
Home Blog

Nigeria reports its first coronavirus-related death

0

Lagos, Nigeria (CNN)Nigeria reported its first coronavirus-related death on Monday, the country’s Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) said.The patient was a 67-year-old man who came back to Nigeria in March after undergoing medical treatment in the UK, the NCDC said in a tweet.

He had multiple underlying health conditions including including cancer, diabetes and had been undergoing chemotherapy treatments, the statement from the agency said.

Two people, including an Italian who was the first case of coronavirus diagnosed in the country, have recovered and been discharged from the hospital, authorities said.The country is locked in a race against time to control the spread of the novel coronavirus in Africa’s most populous nation as cases have increased to 36 across six states as of Monday morning.

Universities are shut nationwide while some states have closed schools in the West African country to prevent local transmission of the virus. All civil servants in non-essential roles have been ordered to work from home for at least two weeks in Lagos State, a megacity of around 20 million people.

Source: cnn.com

COVID-19 Scare: Federal Public Servants Ordered To Stay At Home

0
sace901fm-esan

Federal public servants have been ordered to stay at home, due to the ongoing global pandemic.

The Federation’s Head of Service, Dr Folasade Yemi-Esan on Monday, said the order had become a necessary measure by the Federal Government to manage the identified cases of COVID-19 and to curb its spread. She made known the Governments concern about the welfare of workers and Nigerians in general.

Dr Yemi-Esan in her statement stressed that “as further steps to check the spread of COVID-19, all non-essential public servants on grade level 12 and below are to stay and work from home with effect from Tuesday 24th March 2020 until further notice”.

She also stated that all other categories of officers who will be at work are strongly advised to limit the number of visitors they receive to the barest minimum to reduce physical contact as much as possible.

Paulo Dybala and Maldini test positive for COVID-19

space901fm-dybala

On Saturday, Argentina and Juventus forward Paulo Dybala confirmed that he along with his girlfriend Oriana Sabatini have tested positive for COVID-19. Former Italy captain Paolo Maldini has also contracted the Novel Coronavirus, AC Milan reported.

Dybala admitted that he and his girlfriend have contracted the virus, but assured his fans that they are both in good health.

Dybala revealed his results for the COVID-19 test on Instagram. He said that he and his girlfriend, are in “perfect conditions.”

Consequently, Dybala became the third Juventus player to be confirmed to have COVID-19. The first victim was World Cup winner Blaise Matuidi, followed by centre-back Daniele Rugani.

As of now, Dybala is asymptomatic and he is self-isolating at home. The Juve number 10 admitted to have taken the test last week. Notably, the forward’s previous tests did not show any infection by the virus.

Meanwhile, AC Milan’s technical director, Paolo Maldini and his son, Daniel, have both tested positive for the deadly virus as well.

AC Milan published a statement that reads, “(Paolo) became aware of being in contact with a person who subsequently tested positive for Coronavirus and began to display symptoms of the virus himself. He was administered with a swab test yesterday, the result of which was positive. His son Daniel, a forward in AC Milan’s youth team, also tested positive.”

The statement also mentioned that the 51-year-old former Italian international spent fourteen days in self-isolation at home and would further remain in quarantine until clinically recovered. The club added that 18-year old Daniel had been training with Milan’s first team.

As of now, football and all other sporting events are halted amidst an unprecedented outbreak of COVID-19. Serie A is postponed until at least April 3, with the global sporting calendar being jolted.

Italy surpassed China in terms of death toll as the coronavirus has killed more than 5000 people in the country. 651 people died in Italy on Sunday. On Saturday, the number was 793.

Source: msn.com

Atiku Abubakar’s son tests positive for coronavirus

0
space901fm-Atiku

Atiku Abubakar, a former vice president of the Republic of Nigeria has disclosed that his son has tested positive for the coronavirus disease (COVID-19).

He made this known in a tweet on Sunday night, 22nd of March 2020.

Atiku revealed that the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) has been duly informed about the situation and that his son had been moved to the Gwagwalada Specialist Hospital in Abuja for treatment.

 Atiku Abubakar has called on the federal government to use the power at its disposal to ensure the lives of Nigerians are protected against the deadly coronavirus. There have been reports that the former presidential candidate of the PDP had recently advised the federal government to restrict flights from nations with high level of the virus, following the outbreak of the virus in Lagos state.

FG CLOSES ALL SCHOOLS IN NIGERIA OVER CORONA VIRUS SCARE

0
spacenetwork-fg-shuts-down-

Students of all federal-owned universities and polytechnics as well as pupils of the 104 unity colleges across the country will from today return home as the Federal Government on Thursday took another concrete step to stem the spread of COVID-19 (Coronavirus).

Also to go on the ‘forced’ holiday is pupils of primary and secondary schools in the Federal Capital Territory, Enugu, Anambra, Kano Benue, Niger and Adamawa states. Lagos and states in the Northwest on Wednesday announced closure of schools.

Students of tertiary institutions in Ogun State asked the state government to close their schools.

Lagos said it had made arrangements for pupil preparing for the West African Senior Secondary Certificate Examination (WASSCE) to be taught electronically.

Last night, the Nigeria Law School in Abuja also suspended academic activities for four weeks.

Before the Minister of Education, Mallam Adamu Adamu gave the directive of schools closure,  The authorities of the University of Lagos (UNILAG) and the Lagos State  University (LASU) have slated meetings for today to finalise the decision to halt academic activities.

The minister said in a statement by this ministry’s Director of Press and Public Relations, Ben Goong, that the decision to close schools was a proactive step to prevent the spread of Coronavirus.

The statement said:”We have directed all higher institutions to close this weekend. Unity schools that have completed their exams are to close immediately.

“Others are to hurry and close the latest on 26th March.”

The schools in Anambra, Enugu, Niger, Adamawa and Kano will be closed from March 27

In Abuja, the FCT Administration said its schools needed to close down immediately until the deadly virus’ spread is curtailed…

FCT Minister of State, Dr. Ramatu Aliyu, gave the directive during her meeting with heads of secretariats, departments and agencies (SDAs) under her supervision in Abuja.

She said:  “We should not endanger the lives of our children for whatsoever reasons. You know, when these children are in school, they pick up anything and put in their mouths.

“Therefore, the best and safer thing to do is to close down the schools for a week, two or even a month until the situation gets better.

“As a matter of fact, as from tomorrow being Friday, all public and private schools in the territory should be closed down indefinitely.”

In Lagos, Education Commissioner, Mrs. Folasade Adefisayo, said on a television programme that teachers would pre-record lessons in eight subjects for broadcast on radio, television and online for Senior Secondary 3 pupils.

The subjects are: English Language, Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Literature-In-English, Financial Accounting and Economics.

A source in UNILAG told The Nation On Thursday that the institution’s Senate would likely approve a closure that would last up to three weeks.

“Officially we have not announced closure. The Senate is meeting tomorrow (Friday) and will likely announce closure for three weeks at the first instance,” the source said.

Coordinator, Centre for Information, Press and Public Relations, LASU, Mr. Ademola Adekoya, said the institution’s Senate would decide on closure when it meets today..

“We are not closed yet. But the Senate is meeting tomorrow and would take a decision on closure,” he said.

LASU suspended indefinitely, its 24th convocation which was scheduled to start today and end on Monday.

A statement signed by Adekoya reads: “The Lagos State University management hereby announces the postponement of the 24th Convocation Ceremonies of the University indefinitely. The convocation ceremonies were scheduled for Friday 20th to Friday 27th March, 2020.

“The postponement is as a result of the prevailing health threats occasioned by Coronavirus pandemic and the resolution of the Federal and State Government to discourage the gathering of people in public places at this point.”

The Nigeria Law School in a statement by the Director of Administration, Mrs E.O Max Uba, directed students to vacate their hostels latest on March 25.

The National Association of Ogun State Students (NAOSS) advised the government to send its members home immediately

NAOSS National President, Gbemileke Ogunrombi, said the call was necessitated by the reported first case of Coronavirus outbreak in Benin Republic, a neighbouring country to Nigeria.

Source: Thenationonlineng.net

FG SHUTS DOWN NYSC ORIENTATION CAMPS ACROSS THE COUNTRY DUE TO CORONA-VIRUS FEAR.

0
space901fm-nysc

The National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) management has shut down all the orientation camp nationwide over the spread of coronavirus.

The directive, which came from the NYSC headquarters in Abuja early Wednesday morning disrupted the orientation camp of the 2020 Batch A Stream 1, across the 37 centres in the country.

The Lagos State NYSC Coordinator, Eddy Megwa, told corp members during morning meditation on the parade ground to leave the orientation camp as soon as possible.

“We have been asked to close down all orientation camps and discharge the corp members to their various places of primary assignment,” Megwa said.

He said the abrupt ending of the camp was part of preventive measures taken by NYSC against the spread of deadly coronavirus in the country.

The virus has killed over 7000 persons globally while three cases of the virus have been confirmed in Nigeria.

Megwa told corps members that the directive was passed to all the state coordinators early this morning to indefinitely shut down all orientation camps across the country.

“All corp members should avoid travelling, getting free rides from strangers, which could be detrimental to your lives,” Megwa told the corps members.

A corp member at Lagos Camp packs her bag after the camp was closed over coronavirus.

“You are expected to go back to your different residential address pending the time when all dust will be settled over this coronavirus.

“I want to believe it is to avert anything that could endanger the lives of the corp members and the staff of NYSC.”

Upon hearing the news the corp members jubilated, as they won’t be subjected to the military drills, which a lot of them dread.

A corp member, Esther Ajileye, said she was indifferent but happy that she did not have to undergo the stress of the military drills.

Another corp member Titi Odebiyi, from the Lagos orientation camp said she was happy with the camp closure.

She said the reason for closing the camp showed the government has the wellbeing of the corp members at heart.

Recall that trained health personnel had screened corp members and other persons with infrared thermometers at the point of entry into the camp to guard against the possible contraction of coronavirus and Lassa fever within the orientation camps.

The Lagos State NYSC management also strengthened the preventive measures by putting water containers and hand sanitizers at various points at the orientation camp, while mandating all the staff, traders and corp members to wash their hands regularly.

PHOTO: ADAKU ONYENUCHEYA

Source: guardian.ng

OYO STATE COMMISSIONS BOREHOLE

0
oyo-space901fm

The Oyo State Rural Water Supply and Sanitation Agency has commissioned borehole project for the use of residents in Alugbo Oluwo area of Erunmu Community, Egbeda Local, Government, Ibadan.

The borehole project was built and donated by Latter Day Saint Charities in collaboration with Oyo State Government and the water project will deliver about 10, 000 litres of water to the area per day.

While commissioning the project yesterday, the Executive Governor of Oyo State, Engr. Seyi Makinde, represented by the Director General, Oyo State Liason Office, Abuja, Honourable Busari Olayemi stated that the water project is part of the dividend of Public Private Partnership in the State, which the State Government heartily embraces. While he appreciated the Latter-Day Saint Charities for its benevolence and support to Oyo State and its water sector, he charged the community to put the borehole to effective use and prevent wastage

EXPLOSION ROCKS ABULE-ADO, AMUWO ODOFIN LOCAL GOVERNMENT.

0

At least 17 bodies have been recovered, while 25 casualties are being treated for injuries from the pipeline explosion that rocked Abule-Ado area of Lagos state, yesterday.

This is according to the Director-General of the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA), Olufemi Oke-Osanyintolu, who gave preliminary reports in a statement.

He stated that the raging fire had displaced several residents who fled their abodes for fear of being caught up in the inferno and Nigerians including Mele Kyari and Leke Oduwaye, spoke on the damages caused and the preventive measures.

In the Course of investigations, newsmen caught up with a Resident of the Abule-Ado area who was panting while speaking.

However, the Commissioner of Police in the state, Hakeem Odumosu, said that the explosion had nothing to do with terrorism or pipeline vandalism.

THE OYO STATE GOVERNMENT TO PURCHASE 10 BRAND NEW AMBULANCES FOR THE STATE MINISTRY OF HEALTH

0
space-901-fm-oyo-ambulance

The Oyo state government has approved the purchase of 10 brand new ambulances for the state ministry of health as part of its efforts to restructure the health sector of the state.

The state Commissioner for Health, Dr. Bashir Bello, stated this while briefing the governor’s office correspondents shortly after the Exco meeting, presided over by the Oyo state governor, Engineer Seyi Makinde.

Dr. Bello noted that 3 of the ambulances will be used to constitute the state emergency unit while the remaining 7 will be distributed to each of the administrative zone of Oyo state. 

Speaking on the efforts of the state government to prevent the outbreak of coronavirus, Dr Bashir Bello added that 6 isolated areas have been created in Oyo state; while notification has been sent to market leaders, institutions and organizations in the state on healthy lifestyle practices.

There are reports that the Oyo state commissioner for justice, Professor Oyelowo Oyewo, said that the Oyo state government is set to establish the Office of the Public Defender

Correspondent: Bimpe Soga-oke

FEMI FALANA DESCRIBES DETHRONEMENT OF EMIR AS ILLEGAL

0

Senior Advocate of Nigeria, Femi Falana, has described the dethronement and banishment of Muhammadu Sanusi (II), as illegal.

He said this during a televised programme in Lagos state.

Falana said it in clear terms that the dethronement, Banishment and restriction of movement and detention are all clearly illegal.

Falana also said the emir was dethroned without being given any opportunity to defend himself.

Falana said no one has the right to  impeach a governor and decide to detain him somewhere, such person has the right to move freely and the right to exercise all his powers.

46,186FansLike
14,539FollowersFollow
8,626FollowersFollow

Weather

- Advertisement -

Recent Posts